Saturday, February 16, 2008

happy birtday and some

i quite like new zealand birthdays. cuz i get 2. it's a day ahead here, so i have one here, and then i call home the next day, and it's still my birthday! it's great!
for those of you who weren't on the line when i spoke of my birthday, here's how it went down...

Feb 15 - midnight (so technically Feb 16, aka the day i came forth from the womb of my mother)
we were in Queenstown, the Adventure Capital of the WORLD!!!! and we were in a ritzy hotel cuz we knew a guy that knew a guy and we got a wicked deal. anyway, at midnight all 33 ppl (34 including me) and mark's (my professor) 2 boys came over and we had the longest spanking train of my life. 35 ppl long. i had rug burns from ppl traping me in their thighs while i was hastily crawling for my life. and they don't have funfetti cake in nz, but that did not stop kathy, katie, megan and haeree from giving me funfetti cake. they made normal cake and cooked sprinkles into it and the frosting. aren't they great? i was SO EXCITED! let's give them a round of applause everyone. round of applause.
anyway,
Feb 16 - so at 2 in the morning we heard a huge fight, spied, and had to talk to the cops cuz we spied. lame. lots of blood. i'd rather not talk about it....
so, i bungy jumped, in new zealand, on my birthday. it was so wicked! it is the 2nd highest bungy in the world (2nd to south america). it is 134 m long. that would be 440 ft for you standard ppl. i fell for 8.5 seconds (count it out, it's long) and i just jumped like pocahantas (thanks to my roots) and just soard downward. i was falling SO FAST! the ppl on the other side of the gorge waiting could hear me screaming. that is, until there was too much wind in my mouth to get sound out. but it was incredible! big adrenaline rush. did i mention it's form a shack on a wire in the middle of a canyon? it was tight.
next, i river boarded. they stick you in a wet suit, give you flippers, a lifejacket, and helmet and a boogy boarda dn take you down the Shotover River. 7 km long. the 1st 5km are straight rapids. i'd say it was like unto boogy boarding deso. (if you've ever done deso) and the last 2 km were just fast drifitng where we hung out w arno (my large german guide that i love) and hugh (my english hot guide that i love as well) and there was this rapid called "Man Eater"and i know why. cuz they have you angle your board 45 to the right or left or straight down and kick like you've never kicked before. anyway, ppl get kinda bunched up so to say, and....well. we'll say i got pushed outta formation. went stright thru man eater's center. i went up, and went down (under) where it spun me around and spat me out. it was SO FUN! and sure, i git a rock or two cuz i got spat out onto the side of the river, but that's all good. it was fun. and nic saved me anyway. it was so great! best bday present EVER! big time rush and fun! and there were tons of whirlpools you could paddle bakc into and play in and dive under rapids. it wasso great! and after int he smooth area they had a jetski and pulled us ona sled behind it until we were whipped off. and i got to go 1st cuz it was my birthday! and we cliff jumped 8m and 12m, and there was a HUGE rope swing and a HUGE slide that you stick your board ona nd go downa nd skid across the river and then the jet ski comes and gets you and takes you back the the ladder so you can go again and again and again! it was SO GREAT! you fly across that water. and the best thing, is hugh made us fresh vegetable soup...straight outta the tin. they didn't seem tined, but they probably were. big inside joke from the previous day. but it was great! i'll post some pictures later. but this honestly was the BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!!!! not to mention i was in nz! but part of the river really looked like utah. i was very surprised. but the water was cleara nd blue, not brown and or flimy murky greenish gray.
so yeah, i am 20 now. no longer a teen but not yet 21. the year of limbo. i believe it is going to be a very good year. or at lest it has been thus far.

1 comment:

Addie Parker said...

Looks like I'm the first post-birthday comment. I think it is awesome that you got to celebrate your birthday twice (on Feb. 16th and 17th!). I'm glad you had a great day and are safe. Anyway, I am taking this opportunity to tag you to do a "100 things about me." So TAG - you're it! I'm excited to hear all about you. Love, your sis.